Careers at Copernicus
Copernicus Educational Products Inc., continues to lead the marketplace with educational classroom teaching aids designed for "making teaching a little easier!" We have built our reputation over the years with our ongoing product innovation and classroom research practices. The award winning Royal® Reading and Writing Center is used in more than 135,000 classrooms worldwide!
Reports to the President
The Senior Accountant is responsible for the company's financial plans and policies, its accounting practices, the conduct of its financial relationships, the maintenance of financial records and the preparation of financial reports. The Senior Accountant also streamlines processes to create reliable and timely delivery of accounting information and will play an active role in the strategic planning for the business.
- Manage the accounting operations including the review of journal entries, payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable, financial and statutory government reporting.
- Establish and monitor internal controls to ensure that accounting activities are in accordance with established legal, regulatory and company policies and procedures.
- Monitor accounting operations including the review of journal entries, payroll and statutory reporting.
- Compile and analyze monthly statements and annual reports.
- Direct and coordinate the preparation of annual operating and budgets.
- Establish major economic objectives and policies for the company and prepare reports that outline the company's financial position in the areas of income, expenses, and earnings based on past, present, and future operations.
- Develop and lead initiatives to identify operating costs, variances and develop performance and variance analyses and work with the various departments to improve and control current processes which impact customer quality.
- Provide advice and guidance on all accounting matters including financial systems, record keeping, analysis, and reporting.
- Prepare the year-end financial statements, and coordinate with external accounting firm.
- Responsible for the preparation of monthly financial statements and external reporting to financial institutions, ensuring that all reporting requirements are met.
- Generation of reports of performance against budgets.
- Support new systems or project selections and implementation from a strategic finance and internal control perspective.
- Assign and prepare cheques, purchase orders and invoices for final approval.
- Promote and maintain positive corporate relations with the financial community.
- Liaison with bank to meet all reporting requirements and to assist in negotiating annual requirements.
- Evaluate and recommend insurance coverage for protection against property losses and potential liabilities.
- Other related duties required or assigned.
- This position requires minimum 5 years of professional accounting experience.
- University Degree in Business/Accounting
- Professional accounting designation, CPA required.
- High level of critical and logical thinking, analysis, and/or reasoning to identify underlying principles, reasons, or facts.
- Thorough knowledge of all relevant Federal, Provincial and local requirements regarding financial records, pension, profit sharing etc., is essential.
- Effective communication skills with individuals at all levels of the organization.
- Financial analysis, budgeting and strategic planning experience.
- Knowledge of accounting principles, practices and applications.
- Knowledge of budget preparation and analysis techniques.
- Good project management skills and the ability to motivate teams to produce quality work within tight timeframes.
- Good problem solving skills and the ability to make the necessary decisions to move forward.
Please forward your resume in PDF format to: email@example.com
Commitment to our employees
Copernicus is committed to paying staff a living wage (above minimum wage) to all employees.