Careers at Copernicus
Copernicus Educational Products Inc., continues to lead the marketplace with educational classroom teaching aids designed for "making teaching a little easier!" We have built our reputation over the years with our ongoing product innovation and classroom research practices. The award winning Royal® Reading and Writing Center is used in more than 135,000 classrooms worldwide!
Controller (Reports to the President)
The Controller provides leadership and coordination of company financial reporting, budgeting and planning; ensuring that company procedures conform to generally accepted accounting principles. The Controller also streamlines processes to create reliable and timely delivery of accounting information and will play an active role in the strategic planning for the business.
- Manage the accounting operations including the review of journal entries, payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable and statutory reporting.
- Establish and monitor internal controls to ensure that accounting activities are in accordance with established legal, regulatory and company policies and procedures.
- Monitor accounting operations including the review of journal entries, payroll and statutory reporting.
- Compile and analyze monthly statements and annual reports
- Direct and coordinate the preparation of annual operating and budgets.
- Develop and lead initiatives to identify operating costs, variances and develop performance and variance analyses and work with the various departments to improve and control current processes which impact customer quality.
- Responsible for management of the company's Administration and Information Technology team.
- Set goals and targets relating to the quality and productivity of the company's administrative team, and facilitate continuous training and improvements to the process.
- Provide advice and guidance on all accounting matters including financial systems, record keeping, analysis, and reporting.
- Coordinate the year-end financial statements, and coordinate with external accounting firm.
- Responsible for the preparation of monthly financial statements and external reporting to financial institutions, ensuring that all reporting requirements are met.
- Generation of reports of performance against budgets.
- Support new systems or project selections and implementation from a strategic finance and internal control perspective.
- Assign and authorize cheques, purchase orders and invoices.
- Promote and maintain positive corporate relations with the financial community.
- Other related duties and required or assigned.
- Administer/insure all government remittances/reporting completed as required
- Liaison with bank to meet all reporting requirements and to assist in negotiating annual requirements
- Maintain and update insurance policies, adjust as needed
- Liaison with lawyers on corporate legal matters as required
- This position requires minimum 5 years of professional accounting experience.
- University Degree in Business/Accounting
- Professional accounting designation, CPA required.
- Extensive experience and knowledge of all aspects of corporate accounting and financial management.
- Thorough knowledge of all relevant Federal, Provincial and local requirements regarding financial records, pension, profit sharing etc., is essential.
- Financial analysis, budgeting and strategic planning experience.
- Knowledge of accounting principles, practices and applications.
- Knowledge of budget preparation and analysis techniques.
- Advanced knowledge of MS Office and Excel.
- Management and or supervisory experience.
- Experience in Operations Management would be considered an asset but not required.
- Good project management skills and the ability to motivate teams to produce quality work within tight timeframes.
- Professional written and verbal communication skills.
- Good problem solving skills and the ability to make the necessary decisions to move forward.
Please forward your resume in PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Commitment to our employees
Copernicus is committed to paying staff a living wage (above minimum wage) to all employees.